Monday, September 4, 2017

Perfectly Pleasng Pincushion Parade Starts Today

First of all, today I ask you to keep Texas in your prayers as so many are dealing with putting their homes and lives back together after the devastation left by Hurricane Harvey.


Today is the first day of the Perfectly Pleasing Pincusion Parade.  My sister Ida and I always disqualify ourselves from winning any of the fabulous prices available but we are such "show-offs" that we always link-up to show our pincushions.  You can go here to see all the prizes available, see who has linked-up, and to add your own pincushions to the parade.

Here are my pincushions:


My husband and I like going to estate sales on the weekend.  I found the pincushion above, on the left, at one of these sales.  It's rather old and torn up.  See where the stuffing is peeking out on the left?  It was really dusty as well. I was fascinated with how intricately it was sewn so I cleaned it up and studied it.  Each of the 8 pieces are sewn separately and then sewn together.  The one I made is on the right.  

I also found these at different estate sales and/or thrift shops:


The triangle-shaped on the left was dirty and stained so I washed it. Now it's faded and torn so I'll probably make a new cover for it later.  Then there are two Christmas pincushions and the one on the far right is, interestingly, made from a canning jar lid.

So, you ask, did I make ANY pincushions.  Yes, yes, here is an adorable little house pincushion made from an embroidery pattern I found at one of our prize sponsors, Embroidery Library.  


I also made this chicken from a free pattern I found online. 


And this idea I saw somewhere online as well and adapted it to this:
I was trying to make a beautiful round Dresden plate pincushion and , Voila!, I came up with an entry for the Ugly Pincushion Contest.

It did NOT come out round but rather bumpy, crooked and UGLY!

I also received these two beautiful pincushions from my sister Ida.
I like the pretty star pincushion with what Ida calls imperfections because she thinks the points should line up.  I like it just the way it us.  And then there's the pretty flower with it's beautiful cross-hatching across the top.  Thanks, Ida.


Finally, here is My Pincushion Parade:


Come link-up with us.
That is all.


16 comments:

kiwikid said...

Lots of beautiful pincushions at yours, I like how you have rehomed previously unloved pincushions.

Pamela said...

Great pincushions. The chicken is my favorite.

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Well I don't really think that Dresden pin cushion is that awful....and well, you know which one I think is...ummm...ugly but nevermind........lol.......I just love your own little parade in the last photo and yes I love the chicken too........thanks, as always, for helping me with everything......Love you.

Maria said...

You have a beautiful Pincushion Parade. I know what you mean about trying to make the Dresden, can't seam to stuff things right either.. round. I

Lin said...

I love the segment cushion - well done you for copying the original. The chicken is delightful as is the little sewing bird. Pretty cushions from Ida too. xx

Christine M said...

You have a lovely collection of pin cushions. I love the one with the little bird stitching.

Cheryll said...

Love all your cushions... some are real cuties.
My favourite is the "house" one... xox

Sharmayne said...

What a great collection! Love the little chook!!!

Needled Mom said...

You have such a nice collection of pincushions. My mine is still trying to wrap around how you made a copy of that first one! Love the chicken and the sweet embroidered one.

Lynette said...

Wow! Lots of new pincushions this year. I love the little chicken best! I am also impressed with the copy you made of the first one. I would have no idea how to do that without an actual pattern and I agree that that your "ugly" pincushion is pretty cute too!

Janet said...

What a lovely parade of pincushions! I love the one you found at the estate sale and remade. Are you going to post a tutorial? And your little house is so cute. How lovely too that you received some of Ida'd pretty flowers.

I am said...

Hi Hilachas,wow i love your pin cushion ,the little house is amazing ,thankyou for sharing your collection with us xx

Sheryl S. said...

Beautiful collection of pincushions. My favourite is the chicken which I think has turned out perfect and the little house.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Fun pincushions - especially the wonderful little chicken and the house. Nice to pop in for a visit with you.

Sara said...

I love all of your pincushions. I especially LOVE that little house. It is so cute!!! I also like the chicken one. Thanks for sharing and helping me become better at sewing "one piece at a time!"

Lilly's Mom said...

You have a lovely collection of pin cushions. And, I admire your quilting skills for the beautiful ones you made. Thank you for visiting my blog. Pat