Monday, March 14, 2011

Hunting in the Hill Country

Encouraging words of the day:
For God, who said, 'Let there be light in the darkness,' has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ. ~ 2 Corinthians 4:6, NLT

A little more on feedsacks:

By the late 1930s there was competition to produce the most attractive and desirable prints. Artists were hired to design these prints. This turned out to be a great marketing ploy as women picked out flour, sugar, beans, rice, cornmeal and even the feed and fertilizer for the family farm based on which fabrics they desired. Some sacks displayed lovely border prints for pillowcases. Scenic prints were also popular. Manufacturers even made pre-printed patterns for dolls, stuffed animals, appliqué and quilt blocks.  By the 1950s paper bags cost much less than cotton sacks. Companies began to switch over to this less expensive packaging and by  the 1960s, feedsacks were gradually replaced by other materials.

About my sewing…
The   "Penny HarenPieced Applique"   quilt-along continues.  This week’s block is "Chain of Diamonds."  Mine continue to be the oddest of the blocks posted. My block ended up with little arrowheads in the corners that are not supposed to be there.  Go figure.
 Is that all I’ve done?  Yes, as far as quilting.  I’ve been hog hunting.  Feral hogs are predators in the Hill Country of Texas. They eat baby whitetail deer and compete with whitetail deer for food so they are hunted year round.  Sows can have their first litter (4-16 in number) as early as 6 months of age and can have a litter every six months so, you do the math.  Here’s a picture of me and my Dad  with the boar hog I killed.

Giveaways I've run into! 

 "Quilt Cookies"   is having a fabric giveaway.  Not sure when this ends.

 "The Material Girls Quilts"   is having a  giveaway which ends March 16th.

That is all.





5 comments:

~Laurie~ said...

I am so glad you posted about your block - some of the blocks that I've made for BOM's have looked pretty different from others' blocks - I've just said Oh well! Also, great shot of the feral piggie - they are a burden here is West Texas too - I've heard there isn't a season for feral hogs - so they are targets anytime of the year - thank goodness. They cause such destruction! Thanks for sharing your picture :)

Stray Stitches said...

Your block is wonderful and now you can call it unique since it is different than everyone elses. Great hunt!

Quiltjane said...

Your block looks good and while I am not for guns and hunting, thank you for saving Bambi.

Cheryll said...

Isn't it amazing when new patterns appear!
Nice work!

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

I love the arrows, I think it makes it look really interesting. You could do it again with a really cool applique or button or something of interest in the centre. The block is awesome.
Now the hogs - I am blown away - I had no idea that a hog could eat a white tail fawn, that is crazy and scary. Where I am from, we have large qtys of white tail deer as well as antelope - but I would never wish their young to be eaten by hogs! I am with Quiltjane - although I do not like guns or hunter for myself - good for you to help out in that situation.
At the end of the world, I will have wished I had some target practice so you are lucky you can hit a moving target. ha ha ha