Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Is it Wednesday already?

How great is our Lord! His power is absolute!
His understanding is beyond comprehension!

~ Psalm 147:5, NLT

Is is Wednesday already?  Yes.  So that means I've had all day to do my flower for "One Flower Wednesday," it's 8:30 pm and I did get my flower sewn. I almost made it a Thursday flower.  Oops.  My umbrella is sideways. 
I also received this absolutely beautiful hexie from  "Possum Blossom Patchwork"  in Australia. Also included were the very important little cardboard cutouts for paper-piecing the hexie petals.  Thanks!
The Layer Cake instructions came out on Tuesday and I did copy them, just haven't gotten to making that block yet.  I did make my star for my Star Block of the Month.  I've never made a star before so I was pleased with the way this turned out.
Oh, just thought I'd include this photo of a quilt I finally finished this past summer.  I am posting it in a very appropriate place as well as here, another blog I belong to called "Slowpoke Quilters."  I started this quilt in 1978 when my little son was a baby.  I was a stay-at-home Mom and looking for something to do.  My Mother and Grandmother had always quilted so I thought I'd give it a try.  My Mother told me that this pattern was fairly easy and I should be able to finish it rather quickly.  Well, I decided I wanted a king-size bedspread and, little did I know, that this project would take me 32 years to complete.  Of course, I didn't work on it for several years.  My Mother and  Mother-in-law both took it home with them at different times and hand quilted several sections but it is SO big that they eventually brought it back to me.  I hand quilted for a while, gave up on that and decided to learn to quilt by machine.  Finally, some how, I finally finished it last summer and here it is.
That's it for now.  I got worn out just typing all of the explanations for not finishing this quilt for 32 years!

8 comments:

Lee said...

great little hexies. Ok 32 years might be the oldest UFO i have heard of. Great quilt and congrats on the finish!!

Quiltjane said...

I am glad you like the hexie and papers. I love that fabric and wanted to use it in a very special project.

Julie Fukuda said...

I went to the Tokyo Dome quilt show yesterday and saw that more than a few venders had those paper hexie things. They seem to come in at least three sizes. I thought about you bloggers swapping them around and wondered what size those were.

Linda said...

Your friendship star block is so pretty! Nicely done. And the colors in your 32 year-long quilt are beautiful. You know, I teach beginner quiltmaking, and students make 32" X 48" baby quilts. I sometimes get push-back from them, wanting to know why we don't make bigger quilts. You're an example of precisely the reason I teach how to make a small quilt. Otherwise, I'd be teaching them for 32 years! Thanks for your honesty!

Karen said...

Both flowers are lovely and your star is perfect! So it took a little longer then expected to finish your quilt, but I think it was worth the wait!

Sue said...

I love your flower and your friendship star quilt. I'm getting ready here in a little bit to begin one myself. I just love that pattern.

So glad you finally finished your quilt! That had to have been some relief:)

I follow the Slow Pokes too because...I am one to be sure!

Love the Scripture at the top of your post:)

Blessings

Stray Stitches said...

Your hexie is wonderful! I love the fussy cut center. Your star is beautiful with all of the stripes. Your quilt is gorgeous! And you even made matching pillow shams. How wonderful to have had three generations work on it - wonderful memories there.

marion said...

nice hexie wuth an umbrella, wood fit here to....... it's a rainy country