Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Smell of autumn in the air?


Encouraging words of the day:

Father God, as some receive rain, we pray for those who are still waiting. Lord, we humbly ask for relief for them as well.  Please hear your children.  We praise you, too, for the hope of this week's forecast which shows a break of the constant 100+ weather.  We see your hand and we know that you are at work!  Thank you, Lord.


Everyone talks about the weather so I won’t be doing that today.  Instead, I will just say that there seems to be a smell of autumn in the air and concentrate on talking about sewing.  Today being One Flower Wednesday adds a definite plus to the day.  Check out the flowers other members of the group have made at the link One Flower WednesdayHere are mine..

Here’s another of “My Jane” blocks I completed on our recent road trip.  It was easy to sew and I managed not to lose any of the pieces for this block.
A-13

Here’s the Farmer’s Wife block #12 – Broken Sugar Bowl which I completed before leaving for our trip.  It was also pretty easy to paper-piece.  You can see that I sewed an area backwards.  It’s staying that way.  After all, the name of the block is Broken Sugar Bowl and that’s the way the pieces fell.
FW 11 – Broken Sugar Bowl

Giveaways I’ve found:

"My Go-Go Life" is having a giveaway of seven one-half yard cuts of fabric. – ends  September 12th.

Quilting By The River is giving the opportunity to win nice digital scrapbooking software called My Memories. – ends  September 11th.

Tonya's Sewing Room is having a giveaway.  You could win a zippered coin purse by ZiaMaria Designs.  -  ends September 9th.

That is all.

15 comments:

Karen said...

Beautiful flowers, I really love the green one. And, two excellent blocks!

Maria said...

Both blocks will look lovely in your garden.
Your little blocks look great.

Sheila said...

Lovely flowers for your garden and great blocks as well !

Deborah in Atlanta said...

I had to google the Broken Sugar Bowl block to see what it should have looked like. Sometimes I like my quilting items to have a few errors - it makes for a good "I Spy" item when I get ready to point my mistakes out to someone. I sometimes have to search for them myself! It's still beautiful. And I like your reason for leaving it as is.

Jessica said...

Love your flowers today! Can't wait to see the whole garden :)

Teresa Felgueiras said...

Beautiful flowers every week. Your DJane and FWife blocks are looking good. The DJane ones seem rather tricky to make.

Lolita said...

I love seeing all the gardens grow...very pretty

Stray Stitches said...

Your flowers are very pretty! The one on the right reminds me of cat eyes looking through the greenery of a garden.
Both of your blocks are wonderful! Your quilts are going to be amazing :)

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Beautiful green blooms for your garden! Great DJane and FWife blocks.

Needled Mom said...

Ha!!! I love the broken dishes comment!!!

The flowers look terric as does the DJ. That is a really nice block.

Kris said...

Irene - Your hexie is beautiful and you are super brave to be working on a "Dear Jane". I have started a couple but as soon as I get to the hard ones, I sort of give up!! Argggghhh!!! You go girl!! Kris

Connie said...

Wonderful looking blocks, glad you didn't lose any pieces!

Melody said...

Lots of beautiful sewing, I've fallen in love with your dark green and yellow hexie flower.

Julie Fukuda said...

The only thing better than that broken sugar bowl is your reason for leaving it that way!
I wish you the much needed rain. We have had more than enough.

Marg H said...

Love the hexies - I so enjoy paper piecing. I've got the book for the Farmer's Wife quilt - and have put aside some fabric - that's it so far - maybe this school holidays, I might get a chance - but so much to do at the moment!