Monday, September 5, 2011

My beautiful trees are dead.


Encouraging words of the day:
Prayer for Rain (National Catholic Rural Life Conference-Rural Life Prayer Book)

Almighty God, we are in need of rain.  We realize now, looking up into the clear, blue sky, what a marvel even the least drop of rain really is.  To think that so much water can really fall out of the sky, which now is empty and clear!  We place our trust in You.  We are sure that You know our needs.  But You want us to ask you anyway, to show You that we know we are dependent on you. Look to our dry hills and fields, dear God, and bless them with the living blessing of soft rain.  Then the land will rejoice and rivers will sing Your praises, and the hearts of all will  be made glad. Amen. 


My trees, my trees, my beautiful trees are dead or dying.  We arrived at our little ranch on Friday.  It was a nice drive and I got a lot of hand-sewing done but when we looked out on our land in the morning, it was with sadness at seeing what the drought has done to our beautiful land..  Everywhere, there are dead or dying trees.  Our governor has asked members of all faiths and religion to pray for rain in response to the most severe drought in Texas since the 1930s. This very long dry spell is taking its toll particularly on our rural farming and ranching communities  I am sad about our trees and wildlife, but for our farmers and ranchers are losing their means of support.  I pray for rain daily.
 Photo of our little house surrounded by dead trees with clear, blue skies above.
 Dead trees seen along our ranch road.

As for my sewing, I completed 3 of “My Jane” blocks and made several hexie petals to sew together into flowers.  Here is one of the perils of sewing on a road trip.  I had pre-cut the pieces I needed to sew on the trip and look what happened to “My Jane” B-8.  The missing piece is floating around somewhere else.
B-8

Here’s the Farmer’s Wife block #11 – Broken Dishes which I completed before leaving for our trip.  It was also pretty easy to paper-piece but the colors I chose are not the greatest.  They seem to blend into each other and don’t show the design much.  I need to do a better job of choosing fabrics for these blocks.
 FW 11 – Broken Dishes

Giveaways I’ve found:
World of Charity Stitching is having a giveaway.  You could win a $50 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop.  This giveaway ends Friday, September 16.
"Blueberry Patch" is giving away 4 Autumnal/Halloween fat quarters. – ends September 11th.

That is all.

7 comments:

Sallie said...

I'm agreeing with you in prayer for rain for our state. The wildfires are numerous and growing. Jesus, please calm the winds and strengthen those fighting the fires. We look to You, our Deliverer.

sunny said...

My prayers are with you. It's so sad to see Texas drying up and burning up, and half the country is flooding. I wish I could reroute some of the rain that we're expecting in the next couple of days. Hugs....

Sheila said...

you really are in need of some serious rain so my prayers are also with you .

Stray Stitches said...

I have been praying for rain for Texas for quite ahile now. I was hoping that Lee would spread more westward than it did. Hopefully some of your trees will survive the drought.
Your blocks are great and I hope you find the missing piece soon :)

Needled Mom said...

The drought has been devastating for Texas. We are all praying for rain for you folks. The fires are just horrible too - so much loss.

Your DJ looks great. Someday I am going to start one!!! ;)

Karen said...

Very sad about your trees. I lost three small trees last year and I think come spring, some big trees will be lost, as it has been even hotter and drier this summer. Your blocks are lovely and I hope you find your missing piece!

Connie said...

Sorry to hear about your trees, I hope that soon the weather will change for you!