Monday, May 5, 2014

Working on UFOs

Encouraging Words of the Day:

And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. - Ephesians 3:18 (NLT)

UFOs have been on my mind lately so I've been working on getting a few of those out of the way, keeping in mind that I WILL use my stash to complete projects. I've done pretty well in that department lately. As for UFOs, I'm determined to finish a quilt I started in the "Pile 'o Fabric Quilt-Along of 2013." This entailed a quilt-as-you-go project and now that I'm finishing it, I love the quilt-as-you-go quilting. It's so much easier to quilt one block at a time with my sewing machine and sew them together after. I've got 5 strips of 4 blocks each almost completed. Then I'll sew the strips together and almost be done. Here are photos of what I'm doing.

That border between them is how the blocks are joined. I was surprised at the instructions for joining the blocks but it works! Almost magical.

Then I still have two quilt tops to sandwich and quilt, those being my Christmas quilt which I WILL complete in time for Christmas 2014 and my namesake, the "Good-night, Irene" quilt. I wish I had known hot to quilt-as-you-go before I got the tops all sewn together. I guess I'll have to do those the old-fashioned, tedious, time-consuming way.

That is all.

 

8 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You are busy. Your quilting looks great!

Julie Fukuda said...

I have taught a hand-quilting quilt-as-you-go class a number of times. The best thing, as you mention is working on the smaller blocks and then joining them once they are quilted. If you pick a non-directional busy print for the backing, you can hardly see the joining.

Celtic Thistle said...

Looking good Irene :)

Helen said...

Looks great , and you make it sound so easy !!

suemac said...

I have yet to try QAYG but it sounds like a time-saver.

Josie McRazie said...

I use the QAYG for my quillows! It makes the seams bulky, but I think they soften nicely when washed!

Needled Mom said...

The QAYG technique was really popular back in the 80s and then it seemed to go out of vogue. It is so much easier to quilt small pieces and keep those quilts out of the UFO piles.

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

I am so lucky that I got to see your project "in person" and it is so cool! I really love the summery-or springy look of your quilt......all those yellows and greens on the off-white background are such a happy look.