Friday, September 4, 2015

Pincushion Parade and Prizes

Encouraging Words of the Day:


Today I have pincushions to show. This all came about because my sister Ida, who blogs at "MySister Made Me Do It," is hosting the "Perfectly Pleasing Pincushion Parade." Ida is providing a linky for us all to share our favourite pincushions. Not only that, BUT there are lots of prizes! Check out her blog for all the details and to link-up.

Meanwhile, I'll show you my pincushions. I'm disqualifying myself (before Ida does) since, well, you know, it doesn't seem right if I were to win...

PLUS, Ida has already given me so many gorgeous pincushions, such as this one which I've photographed on it's side so you can see it's a pincushion on a frame. It stands up like a regular picture frame and is ideal for sitting on my end table while I do some hand-sewing as I watch television.

And then there are these 3 which are perfect, each in it's own way and also made for me by Ida:
They all look good enough to eat but I especially like the one in the middle because the pincushion top lifts up and reveals a perfect little container for my thread clippings (hilachas).
But my all-time favorite made by Ida is this one:
It's a little jar where I keep my unique buttons. The pincushion part has fabric with pictures of Sunbonnet Sue and is just precious.
Last, here are some pincushions I've made.
Most of you know how I enjoy sewing with hexie shapes. The ball is made of hexies and pentagons. It took me a while to learn that a ball can't be made entirely of hexies. I had to actually dig up my son's old soccer ball to see the shapes it was made from. The pincushion to the right of the ball is made entirelly of hexie shapes. I found the pattern online for the cathedral window pincushion and the little bitty one is one I use in my travel sewing kit. Which, by the way, I would love to have the pincushion kit Ida made from the eyeglass holder. It looks perfect for travel but how could I possibly ask Ida for another pincushion after she's already made so many for me?
I'd love to see some of your pincushions and if you'd like to be part of the fun, just pop over HERE for all the details & to link up. There are even great prizes to win. Join in or just take a look at the other pin cushions in the parade.
That is all.










 

 

 

 

 

 

 

13 comments:

Pamela said...

Great pin cushions! I especially like the one in the frame.

Julie Fukuda said...

My favorite pin cushions look so ratty from overuse. Maybe they were as pretty as yours about 50 years ago.

Maria said...

WOW you have lots of lovely pincushions .. I especially like the one Ida made for you in a frame...

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Yay! I love your post and we all know you can never have too many pin cushions, right? Yes you are disqualified from winning on the linky (which I "made" you join anyway....lol) but I think maybe a little surprise will find its way to you.........

Lara B. said...

Irene, you have some real lovelies in your pincushion collection! Ida has clearly enjoyed making them for you!
I love that you two are sisters!
How very clever you are to have figured out the hexie ball pincushion by looking at a soccer ball! And I've never seen one so little as you tiny flower. Sweet!

sunny said...

What a great collection! I have an idea Ida would make any pin cushion you want - just Make Her Do It!!

Mary said...

What a wonderful collection, and a great sister who promises a little surprise anyway!

sister outlaws said...

Oh I love those hexie ones! So cute!!! And the one in the frame is ingeneous. Might have to make some for our fete! Last year one of the fete ladies made pin cushions that looked like cacti!!

Needled Mom said...

You have such a nice collection of them, Irene. I love the idea of the one in the frame. I would expect you to have a hexie one - the queen of hexies! Darling. Thanks for sharing.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful collection of pincushions, your sister has made you some beauties!!! The one in the frame is a great idea...love the hexies!!

Magpie Sue said...

What a good idea to use a frame to hold a pin cushion! That's brilliant!

Lin said...

What lovely pincushions Ida has given you - I especially love the one that is also a threadcatcher because I like things that do two jobs! Which is why I too love the spectacle case!! I love your pincushions too - the tiny one is just perfect. xx

Sheryl S. said...

Beautiful pincushions, they make me want to make more.