Friday, January 20, 2012

Free-Motion Quilted Leaves and My Jane L-13


Encouraging Words of the Day –
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  - Philippians 4:13  (NKJV)

Did I already wonder “where does the time go?”  Time is still flying for me although I did spend a nice day with my sister.  Well we went to the Department or Motor Vehicles and waited for an hour to get my driver’s license renewal and that was not so much fun.  Afterwards we went shopping for fabric.  She found a really fun and literal “hole in the wall” shop which sells very little quilting fabric BUT the Christmas fabric was only $3 a yard.  Yes!  They had only about 12 bolts of quilting fabric which was not Christmas fabric but it cost $6 a yard and I did find one that I liked so that was good. Then we had lunch and that's always good.
 
Some of the sewing I’ve done is trying to learn free-motion quilting.  I joined the  "2012 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge"

and sewed up the January leaves.  On the video, they looked really easy.  I tried them with pencil and paper – easy.  So I moved on to my quilt sandwich – oops, not so easy.  Here’s what mine looks like:
I know, I know.  I'll keep practicing.  I also decided that I need to do something with these quilt sandwiches so the fabric and batting wouldn’t be a total waste, so each month I’ll make myself a little wall hanging, then quilt on the backside for my free-motion challenge of the month.  Here’s what the back of my quilt sandwich looks like.  I asked my husband what he thought it is.  He said it looks like a shoe so I’ll just tell you that it’s a wonky heart.

I’ve also done some prep work for appliquéing some of  “My Jane” blocks when we leave on our road trip next week but here’s the last one I’ve done.  I don’t think I’ve posted this one before… It’s paper-pieced and appliqué and was easy to sew.
  L-13   

Giveaways I’ve found:

"My Sister Made Me Do It..." is having her first giveaway and is giving you the opportunity to win 6 Fat Quarters from ConnectingThreads,  a pair of Fons&Porter Machine Quilting Grip Gloves, a sewing machine pin cushion, a package of  Steam a Seam2  double stick web, a copy of Fast, Flirty, and Fun Easy Quilts From Fabulous Fabrics by Sarah M. Bisel,  and a cute bunny wall hanging that she made.
"...just one more stitch" is giving away a complete set of the patterns for Sweetheart Houses sponsored by “Shabby Fabrics.” – ends January 22nd.
That is all.

7 comments:

  1. Nice job on the quilting....you take a minute to look at mine or others in the challenge...we are all somewhat around the same level...good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your leaves look great and that is a terrific idea to make up the little wall hangings to practice on .Enjoy your road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not getting the pictures on the FMQ, but the DJ block looks awesome. It does NOT look that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are ALWAYS the most critical with our own work......you did a GREAT job on the FMQ....and it especially looks good on the "shoe" side.....jaja.....thanks for another great day together...you aren't even gone yet and I already miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job quilting your leaves! I think they look good and you'll enjoy having a small piece from each month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your block with the FMquilting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great practice block. I'm putting all of mine into a quilt to give to someone who is utterly clueless about quilting. That gives me great confidence, and often it ends up good enough to give to anyone!

    ReplyDelete