Monday, March 11, 2013

The Flower Ball and Argyle Quilt-Along

Encouraging Words of the Day:
Be strong and courageous, for your work will be rewarded. ~ 2 Chronicles 15:7, NLT
I've been busy, not sewing but getting ready for others to sew for me. By now everyone knows how I love "hexies." Well, recently I ran into a Quilting Bee called "Get Your Hex On #3." Two Bees are already completely filled and well on their way to creating hexie treasures. Bee #3 is just getting started and I'm the first Queen Bee. I found his interesting wall hanging called "The Flower Ball," by Geta Grama, Copyright 2012.

I think it's gorgeous. It's not made up of perfect hexie shapes but rather odd-shaped hexies in order to give the ball it's 3-D look. I divided the ball up into hexie flowers with a few cream-colored hexies around it. Each member of the Bee, including myself, will sew up a group which I will later sew together to form the ball. I'm excited about this but, as usual, the prep work takes a while, especially when you have to explain to others what you're trying to do.
I'm also working on the "Argyle Quilt-Along" tutorial by Jess at "Quilty Habit." It's an interesting and supposedly fast quilt to make. Here's what I've done so far.
I hope your Monday has been lovely.
That is all.

10 comments:

sister outlaws said...

All hail the Queen Bee! I love that 3D ball effect - some serious maths involved?

Kelli said...

Hi Irene!
That 3D hexi ball is going to look great! Looks a little complicated, though. And I love all things argyle, so can't wait to see how that is going to turn out. Might have to check out that QAL!
xo

Janet said...

Hey you got into the Hex Along! How fun - I now have a couple of friends in there, although not in my group. Well I guess I have new friends in my group :) I love what you've chosen to make and I'll be watching to see how it goes. My month is August and I'm looking for a project...

Carla said...

So looking forward to seeing your own Hexie ball. Isn't it great! Your dear Jane block in the previous post is amazing

sunny said...

that hexie ball looks amazing! Are you making it for me? Thanks for the beautiful birthday mug rug. It was a wonderful surprise.

Needled Mom said...

Wow!!!! That hexie ball is incredible. That would be a fun project.

Anthea said...

Oh Wow, I love the Hexy Ball Irene!
What a great group project to be part of, good luck! x

Jessica said...

Ah, how did I miss this post! Your Argyled quilt looks great :D

Raewyn said...

I recently bought that sphere pattern too - and love it - I am still wondering which fabrics to use but looking forward the challenge!

Celtic Thistle said...

The Hexie Flower Ball looks amazing, shall enjoy seeing its progress!