Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cold One Flower Wednesday - 882 more flowers needed

Encouraging Words of the Day:

For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. ~ Jeremiah 29:11, NLT

It's "One-Flower Wednesday" and I am managing to post my flowers on time today. We traveled to our little ranch last week and it was SO cold that we barely managed to put feed out for our whitetail deer. It got down to 23 degrees and that is in Texas, for crying out loud. So we packed up and drove back to El Paso after spending just 5 days there. It's barely a little warmer here. I sound "all whiney and cry babyish," I know, since so many of you are under snow and really cold weather. Where are you spring? I'm definitely ready for you.

I had these gorgeous flowers waiting for me in the mailbox when I got back. They're from my partner for January in the "Inchy Hexagon Flower Swap." All the way from Rosalie in Australia:

I asked for "surprise" flowers and Rosalie came through like a champ and sent not only the 2 flowers required, but 3! I especially like the flower made up of fabric with pictures of hexie flowers. Rosalie also made a little refrigerator magnet out of one of the hexie patterns and included a bookmark made by her friend. What a lovely surprise. Thanks so much.

 

And now for the flowers I sewed this week?

These brings my total up to 173 flowers. Are you wondering how many I'll need to make a quilt? Well, my friend Josie from "Insanity Defense" suggested I go to Cd Designs to find out. Thanks, Josie. I found out that for a queen size quilt I'll need 7,391 hexagons. Well, divide that by 7 hexagons per flowers and that comes to 1,056 half-inch flowers, minus the 173 I have completed = 882 more flowers needed. Maybe I should consider a double bed sized quilt? Nevertheless, I guess I better get back to sewing more flowers so for now...

Click on “One Flower Wednesday” to see flowers others have made.

...that is all.

 

12 comments:

Barbara Snowden said...

I love that I have figured out how to go from my blog to yours and Ida's so I can actually read what's going on in your corner of the world. This is so exciting! Glad you are back to a little warmer weather. I got snapchats from both girls this morning. Jessie was on the way to class in a temp is 5 degrees, with a wind chil of -18. Erin was also on the way to class at 5 degrees. So, I guess we shouldn't complain.
Love you, Barb

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Oh my gosh...I see Barbara is reading our blogs now so I am on the hook now to go post! haha....I love all the hexies you posted today...the ones from Rosalie are all different and all so pretty and how cool to have the refrigerator magnet too! Are yours today 1 inch or half inch? And good heavens why did you ever have to go see how many you have to go??? hahaha...and boo-hoo hoo, I am whining with you for some warmer weather here.....BTW,want to do lunch tomorrow???

Julie Fukuda said...

Once you have all those made, you will have to lay them all out and arrange them ... then keep them all order until you get them sewed together. I am getting tired just thinking about it!

Carrie P. said...

wow! they are all so great.

Helen said...

Beautiful flowers ......but oh.....that's an awful lot of hexies..... Good luck ..... Not many to go now.hehe

suemac said...

I went to the cd design site and put in my numbers for a wall hanging. Only 486 hexes for the size I need. That is not too bad.

Karen said...

All so beautiful! And, only 882 to go. Someone will be busy for a very long time!

Briar Rose said...

Hi Irene,
I read your lovely post on the Inchy Hexagon blog,
I am so glad you liked your flowers.
I wish I could send you some sunshine, we have a bit too much at the moment.
Best wishes and Happy Sewing.
Rosalie.

Aunt 'Reen said...

These are all wonderful hexie's.
I admire your dedication to making another 882 of these.

The finished quilt will definitely be an amazing treasure!

Celtic Thistle said...

Lovely bright hexie flowers to cheer you up on a cold, miserable day!

rockgranny said...

Only 882 flowers?! It you sew only 2 and a half a day, you'll be ready with them in a year.LOL
Lovely flowers, love the one with little teddy bears (or rabbits?)

cq4fun said...

I guess I'll never go find out how many I need. LOL I'll just make them until I'm tired of it and then I'll be finished. I like your flowers and the ones you got in the swap, too.