Saturday, April 16, 2011

Are you tired of reading about knots yet?


Encouraging words of the day: 
Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. ~ Hebrews 10:23, NLT
I continue to run into comments about knots. By coincidence,  "The Quiilting Board - The Quilters Message Board" has a topic on tangled thread.  One of the participants suggests running the needle and thread through a dryer sheet first to keep it from tangling, another tip that’s worth a try.
Another person suggests you run your fingers down the thread, one way it will be smooth and the opposite way it will feel a bit rougher. You want it going into the fabric the smooth way.  As mentioned before, that's because of the thread twist.  In confirmation of what Julie suggested, knot the end of the thread that comes off the spool last. Knotting the loose end goes against the twist and causes more twisting and wear when pulled through fabric.  It has to do with how the machines twist the thread.
I received my hotpad  from the “"Let's Exchange Hotpad Swap".  Teresa from Portugal made my hotpad in the beautiful turquoise color I requested.  She is such an excellent seamstress too.  All the seams match perfectly and her stippling is to die for, just perfect.  I am so excited about receiving such a beautiful hotpad.  Here’s the photo:
 I’ve been working on finishing the Layer Cake Quilt-Along.  I’ve got it sashed and need to get the batting and backing done so I can take a photo.

Giveaways I've run into:

"Leedle Deedle Quilts"  is giving away 5 fat quarters. – ends April 17th.
"Just Plain Laine" is giving away an Accuquilt die – Funky Flowers- ends April 7th.

That is all.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Thank you for the information on the giveaways!
Also, that is such great information about the knots. There is also a wax that you can get at your local quilt shop for running your thread through first and it helps as well.

Also, I just wanted to let you know that I've changed my blog address to: www.simplypiecefulquilting.com. I changed the address earlier and then decided to change to a dot.com to simplify things. I think I might have made them more difficult. But my old address probably won't show up in the blog reader list now so thought I'd let you know:)

Take care,

Sue
(formerly: quiltmamasue.blogspot.com)
The House That Love Built