Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Buttons, buttons, who has the button?


Encouraging words of the day:
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow - not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. ~ Romans 8:38, NLT 

Buttons,  buttons, who has the button?

Though there is no one person credited with inventing the button, the first buttons made their appearance during the Bronze Age, over 3, 000 years ago when they were worn as ornamentation. They were used to decorate belts and other metal objects. They have been noted in virtually every important civilization. Some cultures such as the Romans may have used them as fastening devices, but this is not proven. Rudimentary buttons appear to be first used for fastening by Europeans in the 13th century, but were much more common in the 14th century.
At some point, someone thought a button might make a nice fastener.  They ran the button through a loop of thread and created a use for the button along with pins to keep garments together.  Use of the button became more common as it was less likely to cause injury than the pin.  In time, the first buttonholes arrived as slits in clothing and this worked to keep clothing closed.
By the late 18th century, buttons began to be made in factories. Metal buttons were punched out by dies, and die-makers were prohibited from emigrating from England, so that they would not take their trade secrets abroad. Nevertheless, the technology spread, and buttons began to be mass-produced in metal, glass, and other materials.
By the early 20th century, the prevailing style was much simpler, reflecting the more sedate look of the growing white-collar class. Inexpensive matched shirt buttons for men and women were available in five-and-dime stores around 1910. Plastic buttons became widely available in the 1930s, though most typical shirt buttons were still made of sea shells or other natural materials.  The common material for buttons today is polyester. 

It’s  "One-Flower Wednesday" and here are my flowers.


I had been hearing about the “Lil Twister” so I just had to try it.  It’s kind of cool how this works.  Here’s a little sample I made just to try it out.  I can probably make a table topper of some sort out of this and will eventually try a quilt top.  My neighbor is expecting a baby and I think this will be a nice way to make a beautiful baby quilt quickly.
man didn't fasten anything with them, but simply wore them for decoration. I’m making progress on my UFOs. I finished the Dresden Plate queen size quilt.  Yes!  Here it is:
 

Giveaways I've run into:

"Jaybird Quilts" has a generous giveaway of two Robert Kaufman  fat quarters bundles.  – ends April 21st.
"The Intrepid Thread"   has 2 charm packs to give away. – ends April 25th.

That is all.

13 comments:

Erica said...

Very interesting info about the buttons. I never knew all that! I love your dresden quilt and your hexies!

sunny said...

I love buttons! I inherited my mom's button box, and wheniver I need just a button or two for a project, that's the first place I look. Your Dresden is beautiful! I'm working on a small (maybe) wallhanging with Dresdens, but it is currently stalled. Great inspiration to keep going!

Teresa Felgueiras said...

I do love buttons of any sort. Thank you for the lovely story about them. Your dresden is stunning. What a talented quilter you are.

Annemieke Price-Talen said...

Nice flowers, i love the bleu one and your dresden quilt is lovely.

Gr Annemieke.

Stray Stitches said...

Your Dresden Plate quilt is gorgeous!! Fantastic finish - you should be proud :D
You hexie flowers are wonderful. I especially like the blue one with the swirly center.
I've been seeing a lot about the 'Lil Twister. I just might have to buy one of those tools too.

Paula said...

Lovely flowers, I like the blue one. The lil twister looks interesting, very nice. And congratulations on your Dresden Plate quilt it is absolutely gorgeous, well done.

Jeanette said...

Lovely blooms, The lil twister looks quite interesting & love you Dresden plate. Happy Stitching,

Sue said...

Love the history of the button!

Love your flowers for this week. Failed to get mine in again *sigh*.

I have that twister ruler too and it makes things go quickly for these projects. I like the idea of using it for a baby quilt. We have lots of babies being born this year!!
And I love your Dresden! So lovely!!

Just One More Thing said...

Love your flowers especilly the one with the swirl in the middle. Mine is coming along s
l o w l y:) Your Dresden Plate Quilt takes my breath away. It is just stunning!!

Karen said...

You have been busy and all is fabulous! I'm a big fan of the Dresden pattern and the Lil Twister is so sweet. Beautiful flowers too!!

LuAnn said...

I love your flowers, but your Dresden is just gorgeous! I just made my first Lil Twister a couople of weeks ago. I think they are a good size for a table topper, too...or a nice idea for a baby quilt.

Wendy said...

That was a great history tidbit on the "button". When I was little my mom and aunt saved buttons. And anytime my mom took out her sewing basket she would let me dump out her button cup. I sorted and inspected those buttons like they were jewels. Great memories.

Love your hexies and also want to try the lil twister sometime.

But honestly, I'm in LOVE with your Dresden quilt! Oh my!!

Roxanne said...

Your flowers are lovely. That twister block is very interesting and you've done a nice job on that Dresden plate. Who would have thought that buttons have such an interesting history.