Wednesday, April 13, 2011

More on knots.


Encouraging words of the day: 
I will praise you forever, O God, for what you have done. I will trust in your good name in the presence of your faithful people. - ~ Psalm 52:9, NLT
After blogging about knots in my last blog, I received a tip from my blogging friend Julie at "My Quilt Diary".
To eliminate tangling thread, the trick is to see the tangle before pulling them tight.  She also gave me another tip to prevent tangling:  Tie your knot in the end of the thread closest to the spool.  It might have something to do with the twist of the thread.  It’s worth a try.  I always thread the needle, tie the knot, then cut the thread from the spool (the opposite of what Julie said) and end up with lots of tangles.  I’m definitely  going to try Julie’s method.
Speaking of hand-sewing, it’s "One Flower Wednesday" and here are my hexie flowers:
I’ve been working ahead on my Penny Haren Applique Blocks since they are usually pretty tedious and take a long time for each block.  I’m trying to get some done since I’ll be traveling during the summer and will be away from my sewing machine.  I’ll try to get my blocks done ahead of time, take photos of them, and be ready to post each week.  Yeah, right.

Giveaways I've run into :

"Quilted Journeys" is going to give away a fat quarter bundle.  – ends April 15th

"Oops-Lah" is having a fabric giveaway


"P.S. I Quilt" is giving away a fat quarter bundle.

"Ft. Worth Fabric Studio"  is giving away a chance to win a fat quarter bundle or a pattern for a Suzi Purse Insert.

That is all.

13 comments:

AMKreations said...

Oh, what interesting tips. I'll have to remember that, next time I run into a knot! =) Have a beautiful day and thanks for the encouraging words, what a blessing!

Karyli said...

good ideas! love your hexi-flowers!

Stray Stitches said...

Interesting tidbits about thread. I'll definitely give it a try. Your hexie flowers are beautiful!!

Dolly Cloth said...

love your hexies

Sue said...

Your flowers are great. I missed yet another week of getting mine done.
I thread my knot the way Julie said too. It does help:)

Jeanette said...

Your hexies are very pretty. Happy Stitching,

Karen said...

Pretty flowers!!!! I do the same as Julie, but today I had a knotty day anyway.

Kate said...

Your hexies are looking really good,,Thanks for the tip...xxx

Wendy said...

Pretty flowers!!

Julie Fukuda said...

I would be interested to hear if the knot trick works for others as it does for me. These days some spools of thread are not wound well and get wavy as you near the end. That just asks for hand work to make knots. After four or five spools I wrote to Coats and Clark and told them if they want to compete on a global level they needed better quality control.

Renata said...

Wow, tolle Farben!

Roxanne said...

Your hexies are so pretty. Nice choice of colors.

Cheryll said...

Great tip... so thanks for sharing! :)