Friday, May 13, 2011

"Bloggers' Quilt Festival"



I’ve already written in my blog about the quilt I chose as my entry in "The Bloggers' Quilt Festival"  but it has become one of my favorites and I thought it would be a good choice for the festival. 

The fabrics used in this quilt are from many different fabric lines and consist of a variety of styles since I started sewing it before I even realized that fabric lines existed.  The pattern was not difficult at all - Log Cabin.  The only part that gave me a problem was actually finishing it, something I finally did in the summer of 2010.  

I started this quilt in 1978 when my little son was a baby.  I was a stay-at-home Mom and looking for something to do.  My Mother and Grandmother had always quilted so I thought I'd give it a try.  My Mother told me that this pattern was fairly easy and I should be able to finish it rather quickly.  Well, I decided I wanted a king-size bedspread and, little did I know, that this project would take me 32 years to complete.  Of course, I didn't work on it the entire 32 years.  In fact, years went by when I never even remembered I was making it.  I was mainly raising 3 children, I guess.  But, back to the story of my quilt:   My Mother and  Mother-in-law both took it home with them at different times and hand quilted several sections but it is SO big that they eventually brought it back to me since they also “had a life.”  I hand quilted for a while, gave up on that and decided to learn to quilt by machine.  Finally, some how, I finally finished it last summer and here it is.  I love it because my Mother and Mother-in-law both helped me to quilt it. 

I also made shams to match:

Close up:

And as you can see, it reaches the floor so it turned out really big.


So, this is the quilt I’m sharing for “The Bloggers Quilt Festival.”   I got worn out from just typing out all of the explanations (excuses?) for not finishing this quilt for 32 years!  AND, since it took almost forever for me to finish, I call it my "Forever Quilt."

11 comments:

krisgray said...

Beautiful! Those blocks are but have oh do many seams. Congrats on a great finish.

Teresa said...

A great quilt and a great story! Gives me hope for my 5 year UFO that haunts me in my sleep. Thanks for sharing

Julie Fukuda said...

I think your story should be an encouragement to a lot of quilters out there. I'm glad you enjoyed the journey because the outcome is just great!

Sandra said...

Kudos, it is awesome that you got her done! And it makes for a more interesting story. I've only been quilting about 12 years but I've got plently of UFO's that old.
Come see my entries #211, repro cheddar orange stars and #215 antique 1850 applique flower garden

stitchinpenny said...

Forever wasn't too long, because you finished it and it is beautiful.

Laurel H. said...

What a great quilt, and an even greater story!

Eileen said...

Great quilt and what a fun story to go with it! Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Katie said...

It's a beautiful quilt - worth the wait!

Karen said...

Good to see it finished. All that work was worth it. Great quilt.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Now THiS is an heirloom quilt. It is beautiful.

Hollie said...

What a great story. Bravo on the finish!