Saturday, May 14, 2011

"Dear Jane" really started.


Encouraging words of the day:
And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. ~ Colossians 3:15, NLT

I started my “Dear Jane” quilt.  I ordered the software and it has arrived but I think I need constant access to the photos instead of opening up my software each time I need to see the picture, so I ordered the book also.  I’m still waiting for the book to arrive.  In the meantime, I have made two blocks.  

I’ve heard from a few people who have a “Dear Jane” in progress or would like to start one.  I love to hear from you and get your input.


Here's the finished  baby quilt I’ve been working on for my neighbor.  This was done using the cool “Lil Twister” tool I bought recently.  The cutting was the most time consuming.  I like the way it turned out but I probably won’t be making very large quilts with this since it does take so much time to cut each individual square. Also, and I don’t know how this happened, when I sewed the border strips on, they stretched more than the blocks so they look kind of “ruffley.”  I thought that looked rather nice since it’s a baby quilt and I liked the ruffle effect so I didn’t try to fix that.


I’m almost finished with the additions to my “Dresden Plate” quilt.  I’m working on pillow shams to match so that I can use it as a bedspread.

Giveaways I've run into (make that one giveaway):




"1 Choice 4 Quilting" is having a fantastic giveaway consisting of fabric yardage, fabric bundles, a quilt kit, jewelry, cosmetics and creams.  - ends May 29th.


That is all.

3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

The DJ blocks look wonderful! I am sure the book will be a fabulous help.

I just did a table runner with the Lil Twister ruler. I love the way it turned out, but I did starch each block because of all those bias edges. I was afraid of stretching.

Linda said...

I love that Little Twister pattern. And if I may... I'm a beginner quiltmaking instructor. Most often, I encouraged newbies to TRY my methods, but I'm definitely not one of those quilt police officers! However, on two items I'm fairly insistent... how to find and sew a scant quarter-inch seam, and the correct way to sew a border to a quilt center. Since your quilt has the "lettuce leaf" effect, I'd guess you sewed the strip to the quilt center and then cut off the rest of the strip. If so, and if you'll permit me, I'll suggest that the next time you measure, measure and measure - in three places - across your quilt center. Then cut two strips to that measurement. Pin and sew each to opposite sides of the quilt center. After pressing do the same to the remaining sides. Measure, measure and measure, cut, pin and sew to add the remaining opposite sides. Your quilt will lay flat.

Perhaps you did that with this quilt, and I've really stuck my foot in my mouth! (sorry...)

Julie Fukuda said...

I have used that twister pattern to make arm covers and footstool covers for my wing rocker. I'd like to make a piece for the back too but it drives me crazy putting it together because all the pieces need to be arranged before you can begin sewing.