Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day and My Finished Civil War Quilt

Encouraging words of the day:
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. ~ Isaiah 40:31, NLT

 


I'm still in California on this beautiful Fathers' Day wishing all the fathers a wonderful, peaceful, joyous day. I have called my father in New Mexico and am spending the day with the father of my children and my son-in-law and his family. I haven't done much sewing. My daughter and I have spent our time visiting and shopping (no fabric). Today we'll have a cook-out and let my husband and SIL do the cooking... Somehow, that sounds wrong for Fathers' Day but they are willing so what can I do? Best wishes to all the fathers.

I've mentioned before that I was working on a Civil War project along with eleven other quilters. We were each assigned a mini quilt from "Civil War Legacies," by Carol Hopkins. The book has 15 mini quilts with very different looks. My quilt is called "Tommorow, Scarlett." We're also each making what we call a "Gratitude Block" from each of our different quilts. These will be sewn up into one quilt to be given to the person who donated the books for us to use and keep. My mini quilt calls for 5 1/2 inch blocks but the requested size for the "Gratitude Quilt" was 8 1/2. I made 3 practice blocks before I felt that I could "expertly" (smile) make the "Gratitude" block. Since I already had 3 blocks made, I decided to make my mini quilt into a lap quilt and here it is. It consists of 12 blocks made with a variety of Civil War fabrics.


I thoroughly enjoyed making my quilt from reproduction Civil War fabrics. I was already in love with CW fabrics from using them in "My Jane" blocks so I really enjoyed sewing up my CW quilt blocks. I'm sure this quilt would look lovely in any type of fabric you choose. Here's the back of my quilt, also in CW fabrics.

I quilted this with a crooked little vine stitch. You really can't see the little leaves but I stitched across each block and it actually looks pretty good.

That is all.

 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a wonderful Day.....I spoke to your Father and wished him a Happy Father's Day too......You CW quilt is lovely....even in the photo but not as beautiful as it is "in person"...........I agree with you......"If the Fathers are willing to cook.....you must let them have their way"....afte all, is is Father's Day..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty quilt! Enjoy your visit with family. You'll come back refreshed and ready to jump back into your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am starting a love affair with the civil war fabric, and your quilt is just beautiful. Well done you

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely finish! I have slowly been collecting CW prints, but have yet to choose a project. Enjoy your visit - its 112 here today in NM so just stay put for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete