Monday, June 20, 2011

“Goodnight, Irene” (that’s me) meets Jane A. Blakely Stickles"


 “Goodnight, Irene” (that’s me) meets Jane A. Blakely Stickles"

I’ve actually been posting pictures of “My Jane” on several of my blog posts.  Now, I’m going to try to do it in a more orderly manner.  Right!

In May 2011, as I was surfing the internet, I ran into an interesting page about a “Dear Jane” quilt.  I’d never heard of this quilt and was intrigued by the information I found.  So intrigued that on May 13, 2011, I ordered the software.  I was so excited and by the following day,  I had make my first block, A-1.  Jane Stickles,  here I come! 
I’m not setting a deadline to complete the 225 blocks but do plan to work on them continuously.  It is now June 18th and I have completed 32 blocks.  Once all the blocks are completed, I will make the decisions involving borders and quilting.
Right now, my plan is not to use any of the fabrics I choose twice so each block is a different fabric.  I have always been one to color outside the lines, so I may adapt the blocks to my own interpretation and not strictly follow the guidelines of the software as I consider those exactly that – guidelines.  I’m not sure the person who set up the software knows exactly how Jane made her blocks either (smile).  I’ve purchased the book also and that just has the colored picture of the block and an outline of how the block looks, now how it was sewn.  I will be using different techniques to achieve the same results as Jane although now necessarily in the same way. That said, one, two, three, GO!

A-1
28 pieces
Paper-pieced

I love paper-piecing and I was so glad that the software came with a print-out for foundation piecing.  I think this is the reason that I enjoyed making this block.  It seems like a good start on my “Dear Jane” since after this block, I’m feeling confident.  It's a little crooked but that just adds character, I always say.  Nevermind that it came out as a mirror image of Jane’s.  Didn’t I say I would be making my own adaptations?  I hadn’t realized it would be right away, LOL.

2 comments:

  1. Great block! I like the adaptations you make in your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to account for them. It is so much fun to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete