Sunday, May 19, 2013

Crazy Quilt in Bloggers' Quilt Festival

Encouraging Words of the Day"

As soon as I pray, you answer me; you encourage me by giving me strength. ~ Psalm 138:8, NLT


"Amy's Creative Side" is hosting the Blogger's Quilt Festival where we have the opportunity to share quilts we have made and be inspired by all all the great quilts entered. Each person can enter up to 2 quilts and there are multiple categories.

 

Although this is the 9th festival, it will be my 1st time entering. The quilts I've seen are awe-inspiring and although I am not making award-winning quilts, I have decided to enter two of my efforts.

Entering in the Scrap Category:

I’ve been working on this crazy quilt on and off since 1982 when I started it. I sewed the 12 crazy quilt squares and then put them away. I had three growing children who were occupying all my time. I love being a mother and preferred to devote my time to them. Then they grew up and left home. That’s also a good thing, right? Don’t we raise them all those years so they can grow up, become independent, and leave us? Anyway, back to the crazy quilt - I would periodically dig out my squares and embroider something on them, then back in storage. When my husband and I started taking more road trips, I again dug them out and continued with the embroidery. Finally finished them and sewed the top together. Back in storage because I couldn’t decide what to use for a backing. Then I won a giveaway held by Julie at "My Quilt Diary." What I won was a panel of a "matoi" showing the standard and happy coat of firefighters during the Edo period. It turned out to be perfect for the back of my crazy quilt and now it is FINISHED after 20 years.

The following are close-ups of the blocks showing the embroidery:

This photo show the interesting Japanese "matoi" panel.


This quilt was begun in 1982 and finished in March, 2012. It is made of vintage damask, satin, velvet,vintage ties, lace and other assorted fabrics from my stash and my Mama's stash. The blocks are machine pieced and all the embellishments are hand-embroidery. The quilt was quilted on my Kenmore.

Quilt Stats:

Category: Scrap

Pattern: Crazy Quilt

Dimensions: 38" x 50"

Thanks so much for stopping by. Check out the Bloggers' Quilt Festival and enjoy taking a look at all the gorgeous quilts.

 

10 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Such a very nice crazy quilt....congrats on finishing it too.

sunny said...

It's beautiful, Irene.
the first quilt I ever started was a crazy quilt, because I thought it would be easy. Ha! I did finally finish, but it's certainly not the masterpiece that yours is.

Sarah Craig said...

How gorgeous, Irene! Love the front AND the back!! And isn't it nice to have an old UFO out of the stack?

Ginny said...

I love the crazy quilt! It must have taken a long time, but it was worth it. ;-)

CitricSugar said...

A quilt 30 years in the making is a special one indeed! Great work - glad you persevered!

Celtic Thistle said...

It is really lovely Irene and well worth the wait.

Janet said...

Wow! It's great. Love the matori panel on the back too.

Aoife said...

Wow! Love that it has such a diversity of fabrics and techniques. It's lovely, and tells a story of your life :)

Patti said...

There are so many interesting and beautiful aspects of this quilt! Love it!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my! What a wonderful quilt! I love crazy quilting - there is so much to see, and always I see something new, no matter how many times I look. Congrats on the finish - way to go!!!