Monday, May 20, 2013

Penny Haren Applique Quilt in Bloggers' Quilt Festival

Encouraging Words of the Day:

For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. ~ Ephesians 2:10, NLT

"Amy's Creative Side" is hosting the Bloggers' Quilt Festival where we have the opportunity to share quilts we have made and be inspired by all all the great quilts entered. Each person can enter up to 2 quilts and there are multiple categories.

Although this is the 9th festival, it will be my 1st time entering. The quilts I've seen are awe-inspiring and although I am not making award-winning quilts, I have decided to enter two of my efforts.

Entering in the Applique Category:

This quilt was begun in January, 2011 and finished in January, 2013. It's made of 100% cotton which I purchased from various shops especially for this quilt. Every time I saw a turquoise/brown combination, I checked it out to see if it might work in some of the blocks. The blocks are machine pieced and appliqued on my Kenmore. The quilting was also done on my Kenmore.


Close-ups so you can see the applique:

The next photo shows the applique I chose for the middle. I flipped the corner of the quilt up so you can see the backing.

Quilt Stats:

Category: Applique

Pattern: "Pieced Applique - Intricate Blocks Made Easy" by Penny Haren

Dimensions: 60" x 60"

You can go to this link to check out the other entries in the "Bloggers' Quilt Festival."

 

10 comments:

Doniene said...

It is absolutely beautiful!! Well done!!

Blessings

CitricSugar said...

I admire anyone with talent for applique! Beautiful work.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Beautiful quilt Irene!

Needled Mom said...

It looks fabulous and I love the color combination that you used.

Carla said...

Beautiful work : )

sunny said...

It's beautiful, Irene! I'm glad you decided to enter it for the world to see.

Teresa in Music City said...

What fun blocks! Blue/brown is a favorite combo of mine - especially when you throw in some stripes! Yummy!!! Love the binding you used too :*)

Robin said...

Aqua and brown is such a happy combination! Love it! You did a lovely job on this. Thanks for sharing it!

Amy said...

It looks beautiful! I love the color combination you used!

Julie Fukuda said...

I am way behind in reading,having been away from connections for a week. I love any shade of blue and brown and am saving up fabrics as I write. Maybe this will be the inspiration to get me going (once I get other things out of the way).
Thanl you too, for the hexies I found waiting my return. I just can't wait to get back to my blocks!