Wednesday, May 15, 2013

One Flower Wednesday and Hexie Pincushion

Encouraging Words of the Day:

As soon as I pray, you answer me; you encourage me by giving me strength. ~ Psalm 138:8, NLT

"One-Flower Wednesday" today and you won't believe the flower I made.

"Big deal," you say? Actually, it's a small deal. I'm in a Hexie Bee and this month my hive mate asked for a 1/4-inch hexie. I could not believe it! It was actually harder to sew than the larger flowers because it's so hard to hang on to those little-bitty pieces. I took a photo to show you the comparison. The largest is a 1-inch hexie flower, the middle one is 1/2-inch, and on the right is the little 1/4-incher.


On another topic; I saw a pattern for a cute pincushion made of hexies. It seemed like a good idea so I prepared several hexies and started sewing them together. It looked easy enough so who even needs to read the instructions, right? Just sew the hexies togehter into a ball. I can do that. Wrong! I finally had to go find my son's soccer ball Would you believe that they are actually made of hexagons AND pentagons? Then I looked at the instructions again. Sure enough. Well, then I made some pentagons too and, surprise, surprise. It worked.

Notice the pink pentagon shape in the middle of the hexie flower.

Click on “One Flower Wednesday” to see flowers others have made.

 

That is all.

 

18 comments:

sophie said...

LOVE the "soccer ball" pincushion. I think I might have to make one of those. But that crazy small hexie ... that's crazy! I can't even imagine working with those tiny bits. A while back I made a tiny seven sisters block from diamonds– the little block was impressive from the front, but had so much bulk from the seam allowances on the back. (I didn't use EPP, just hand-pieced it).

Raewyn said...

Wow! Very clever!! Love your pincushion and also your itty bitty hexie-flower!! Whew - well done! I did make a couple of very small ones once for a scissor fob - and I agree, they are fiddlier to make than the larger ones :-)!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Hijola! What a tiny hexie! Love all your "one flowers" for today.

Helen Marasco said...

Oh wow that's tiny but stunning !!!!! They are all beautiful :-)

Celtic Thistle said...

Quarter inch hexies! That is madness but gorgeous though :)

Trillian said...

Can't believe you made such a small flower. How to hold it in the hand?

Rosa said...

Love them.They are gorgeous!!

Needled Mom said...

1/4 inch hexie???? I can't imagine sewing something that tiny. You did a great job on it though.

Who knew that all of those hexies would need a pentagon to make it round. I will have to look at the soccer ball a bit more closely next time. I love the roundness of the pincushion.

Mindful quilter said...

That's a fabulous small hexie, well done!

Aunt 'Reen said...

What a wonderful hexie ball!
Love that teeny tiny hexie flower too, it's darling!

sunny said...

I have made exactly 4 quarter inch hexies in my life, and I doubt I'll ever make more. THey are definitely hard to hand onto. I love your pincushion!! You're really into round hexie items lately.

Julie Fukuda said...

That quarter inch hexie is just going too far! I'd probably lose those tiny pieces before I got them together!

~Laurie~ said...

WOW that is one small hexie!! Good for you for getting it done - I think I may have given up!

Karen said...

So tiny, that would be very hard to hold and stitch. But, it is so sweet! Love the pincushion too.

elliek said...

Thought 1/2" hexies were bad enough!!! All the hexies look great and the pincushion is gorgeous. I am about to do one with pentagons.. will see how I go.

Carla said...

I've done 1/4" hexies. So sweet

Janet said...

The 1/4 inchers are super small! I had to make some of Hillbilly Tanya's Ahs for my hexagon partner last month. There were tiny pieces in them too. Love the soccer ball pincushion!

Mary said...

I really like the pin cushion. You are so clever!