Monday, May 14, 2012

Feral Hogs and "My Jane" H-13 and I-1

Encouraging words of the day:

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations." ~ Jeremiah 1:5, NLT
God knew you, as he knew Jeremiah, long before you were born or even conceived. He thought about you and planned for you. When you feel discouraged or inadequate, remember that God has always thought of you as valuable and that he has a purpose in mind for you.

It's been beautiful in the Texas Hill Country but all good things must end and we will be traveling back to El Paso tomorrow. By the way, we love El Paso too so it's all good :) I'll get some more hexies made tomorrow and maybe a little crochet done since I've been ignoring that.

We've been hunting some. You may have heard how feral hogs are spreading all over south Texas. They are considered predators since they compete with the whitetail deer for food. They will also kill the whitetail deer and are a threat to their population. We are not a threat to the whitetail population as we will harvest one or two per season and we use them as food. All of my family enjoys venison and we eat it regularly. After that disclaimer I can continue about the threat of the feral hogs. When we sit in a deer blind and watch the wild game, when deer are feeding, they will disappear in a flash if feral hogs are in the area. Long story short (well, too late as I already made this pretty long but now I'm digressing...) anyway, I have managed to kill 3 little feral hogs. Remember that they will grow up to be parents of large litters and will begin to add to the hog population as early as 6 months of age. Not only that, but a little moving target is harder to hit so here is a photo of me with two feral hogs I killed.


After all that, I managed to get some time in with my sewing maching and completed a couple more of "My Jane" blocks, H-13 and I-1. Both were really easy paper-piecing. It's really relaxing sewing these easy blocks. Something tells me this won't last long and soon I'll be running into the difficult ones again.

H-13

I-1

Sewing these blocks up is even easier when you sew them up crooked like I did with I-1. I'm saying that the stripes just didn't line up and it only looks crooked.

That is all.

10 comments:

Needled Mom said...

From hunting to quilting....what an exciting life you lead.

Julie Fukuda said...

We have wild boar here and they begin to be a problem as new communities force them into smaller and smaller areas. They are very dangerous and they make a mess of trails with their digging. Japan is not a gun culture so they are hard to get rid of.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I love the fabric in H-13...and good hunting!!....I think it is so neat; great picture too.

Janet said...

Do you eat the hogs? Are they good eating?

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Being part of the family who loves venison....I am happy to say that Irene "spreads the wealth" when they have it..........Both blocks look nice but I, too, love the fabric you used for H13. Looking forward to seeing you when you get home......and Be Careful on the drive home!

sister outlaws said...

You're amazing Irene! You lead a busy life. I love the sound of your ranch in the hill country. Hope to see it one day!

sister outlaws said...

p.s. Do you eat the hogs? My husband loves smoking and bbq-ing pork!

Mary said...

We struggle with feral hogs on our ranch too! Bob is the hunter in our marriage so like you we enjoy venison as well.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Sorry to hear of your hog woes there in Texas! Congrats on your successful hunt. 2 more wonderful Janes too, you're making great progress on this quilt!

Carla said...

Wow! You shoot? My son would love you : )