Wednesday, August 22, 2012

One-Flower Wednesday and My Jane I-3 and F-7


Encouraging Words of the Day:
Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God! ~ Psalm 42:11, NLT

We're back in Rocksprings.  Our visit with our son in Keller was 

 wonderful.  Now back at the ranch.  We’ve been hunting feral hogs

and I finally got a shot at some.  There were a couple of BIG sows 

which I shot at and missed.   They had a bunch of little hogs with

 them and I took a shot at one of them and got one.  Can you 

imagine, I missed a big 180 pound hog and then turned around and 

shot a 20 pound baby?  I console myself with the thought that the 

little baby would have grown up into a boar or a sow.  Those sows 

can start reproducing at 6 months and produce a litter every six 

months.  Feral hogs are very destructive in the Texas Hill Country 

and, from what I hear, other parts of the country as well.  They 

destroy property and also harm the whitetail deer population (they 

eat them).  The whitetail deer are VERY scared of the hogs.  

Whenever you see the whitetail deer eating at a feeder, they will 

take off at a run if feral hogs are approaching.  We try to feed and 

nurture all wildlife except for the predators (feral hogs) and receive 

a “Wildlife Exemption” on our property taxes as we supply 

supplemental water, food, and shelter for wildlife. 

I continued sewing ½ inch hexie flowers on the trip to and from 

Keller so I have flowers to show you for One Flower 

Wednesday.”    Thanks to Karen from  Journey of a Quilter who 

provides a linky for us to share our flowers with you.   Here are 

three of my little flowers.

Then, since I’ve been back at the ranch, I’ve been sewing a few 

blocks for “My Jane.”    Here are I-3 and F-7.  Both were easy 

paper-piecing.


 F-7

 I- 3

Have you heard that there's another Blog Hop starting up soon 

hosted by "Quilter's Gallery?"    I'll be posting a giveaway on 

Saturday when this link will be working.

That is all.

11 comments:

  1. You all do so much for the wildlife at your little ranch....from buying ALL that feed to putting ALL those bird houses (I forgot how many you all put up out there) to making sure there is water out in that hot country for them..........and then you sew on the side????LOL.....well I love your new hexies and Jane blocks and can't wait til you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got at least one of those nasty hogs! I remember seeing a dead one at the side of the road onthe way to Lamesa last summer - they are HUGE!! Can't believe they reproduce at 6 months! Pretty flowers Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They can be so destructive. One less baby will definitely help to keep the population down somewhat so don't be so hard on yourself.

    The flowers look terrific and are such a great car project. Your DJ blocks look pretty too. You are making headway with each newly completed block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty hexies - I love the bright blue and grey one! Your Jane blocks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't say I have seen a feral hog.
    We have planted mostly native trees on our smallblock and its amazing the number of native birds that have found us.
    Love the blue hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How strange - two of my co-workers today were discussing hunting hogs in Texas. Love your little flowers and your Janes! What are you going to do with the mini hexies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet little flowers! I'm loving the fabric of the first DJ, but both are wonderful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ida the little hexy flowers are super-cute, are you using scraps or from a particular range?
    the My Jane's are always lovely to see, i so admire those clever enough to do that sort of piecing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. my husband is watching hog hunters as I read your post...what are the chances!
    Lovely hexies!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great flowers. And I love your DJ blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such darling little hexi flowers! I love the fabrics you used for your Jane's, the blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete