Wednesday, August 29, 2012

One Flower Wednesday


Encouraging Words of the Day:
You thrill me, Lord, with all you have done for me! I sing for joy because of what you have done. 
 ~ Psalm 92:4, NLT

We're back in El Paso.  It's always nice to be home, no matter how much fun you had while away.  I have gotten back to my sewing machine and am working on a Postage Stamp Quilt.  I'm making it from 2 1/2 inch squares and I'm planning on making each square from a different fabric.  That's lots of squares.  If any of my blogging buddies is interested in swapping 2 1/2 inch squares, please let me know.  I've been cutting lots and lots of these little charms.
My husband and I enjoy shopping at local estate sales and I was really fortunate to run into one of these sales that had available a quilter's stash.  I grabbed that up quickly and rushed home with all the goodies.  Then I got to feeling bad for the "Quilting Lady" whose stash I grabbed.  This being an estate sale, the quilter has either passed away or is in a nursing home and here I am, jubiliantly patting myself on the back over the things she can no longer use.  When I mentioned this to my sister, she made me see things in a better perspective by saying:
"No, that is the wrong attitude.  That Quilting Lady's demise or otherwise would have happened whether anyone benefitted or not.  She would have been happy to know her stash went to someone who will appreciate it."  I think my sister is probably right so I'm back to enjoying the Quilting Lady's stash again. Here's a photo of the stash and I, of course, shared some of it with my sister.  At least I know that when I die, my sister will be getting my stash. 

It's that time again when Karen (at Journey of a Quilter)  organizes us with a linky she provides for us to show off our hexie flowers for  One Flower Wednesday.  I continue to sew my 1/2 inch hexie flowers.  I like the idea of those "make-do" flowers where one or two of the petals are of another fabric that is close to the main print but just a little off.  I made my first one on a road trip where I actually lost one of the petals and had to really make-do.  The one today was planned.  Here are my flowers for this week with one make-do. 

Don't forget about my giveaway along with many others who are participating in the Quilt Gallery's "Celebrate Back-to-School Days Quilters' Blog Hop.  It ends on September 3rd. Just look for the logo on everyone's blog.  I have it posted on the left side of my blog also.  


That is all.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

I would LOVE to swap 2 1/2 inch squares with you!! What did you have in mind?

Needled Mom said...

I would be thrilled if you ended up with MY stash. You best bring a truck to haul it back to El Paso!!!! Just one think....please do not shake your head wondering how I ever managed to accumulate so much ;-)

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

What a great treasure it is and I got in on the loot too! I really love your little "make do" flower (well the others too, but it is especially cute)...........I still haven't gotten my post done.......but I will!

sunny said...

Lovely flowers! And I have to agree with your sister. The previous owner of the stash would be happy to know it went to a good home.

Kelli said...

Loving your flowers, Irene! I agree with everyone else.. She'd be happy that someone ended up with her stash who loved quilting and who would put it to good use. :)

Julie Fukuda said...

Yep, to know your stash ... no matter how "vintage" is valued, that is a real blessing. 2 and a half inch blocks, now, how many can you use?

Karen said...

An excellent stash that went to a very good home. Beautiful flowers Irene!!

Maria said...

Waht a great stash.
Love your flowers this week.

Quilting Chemist (Danette) said...

Beautiful flowers, love the fabrics you used!

Kris said...

Hi Irene - Glad you got home safely!! Darn, my postage stamps are only 2 inches!! I like your new flowers!! Did you receive the two flowers I sent you for the August Inchy Hexagon Swap??