Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Dresden Challenge Entry


Encouraging Words of the Day:
You thrill me, Lord, with all you have done for me! I sing for joy because of what you have done. ~ Psalm 92:4, NLT

I finally finished my quilt for the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild’s Dresden Challenge. And yes, I had all sorts of time to do since I heard about it in May or so but I had all the time in the world.  After all, September was a long way off.  Well, I finished my quilt today and I’m calling it the “Dresden of a 100 Hundred Errors.”  I’m not a strong proponent of perfect and you’ll see that as we go along.  I say that only God is perfect and the rest of us….
This first part is not an error.  My Mother loves soap operas and began cutting out the Dresden Plate pieces as she watched her soap operas.  Well, Mama got carried away and cut and cut and cut.  I do have the “Easy Dresden Ruler” but she prefers her cardboard template. 

Anyway, Mama made a Dresden Plate Quilt, I made a Dresden Plate Quilt last year, my sister started a Dresden Plate Quilt, and there were still pieces left over.  So I decided to enter the “Dresden Challenge” and continue using the pieces Mama cut out.  This quilt has 20 plates, most having 20 pieces and the center.  That’s one of the errors, 2 plates have 21 pieces and the center (I don’t know.)  By the way, there are still pieces left over.
I cut out my white squares (too small) so I decided to go with it since I was running out of time.  I appliquéd my plates overlapping the white squares.  It looks pretty good.  There are a few puckers here and there to add character.  I like the traditional quilt patterns so I went with the plain Dresden Plate, although my sister says that overlapping the white square is not really traditional.
After all the disclaimers, here it is.






You can't really see much difference from the blocks with 20 or 21, right?

That is all.

14 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I think it looks wonderful and the Dresden Plate has always been one of my favorite patterns too. Love the yellow in this one!!!!

Sarah Craig said...

I think it's really pretty, Irene - and I like the white corners, traditional or not!!

Carla said...

Good for you for persevering ; )another great finish!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

All right! You did it.....and it does look great......(even if it isn't traditional....hehehehe) I am still working on mine.........but I still have nearly 31 hours left.......

giddy99 said...

It's lovely, and an awesome finish!

Julie Fukuda said...

Didn't you make another Dresden plate quilt earlier? I can't believe your mother cut that many segments! I've made blocks of that pattern but a whole quilt...how ambitious!

Rachell said...

Hola!
You're so cute and I think it looks good...the plates kind of pop out at you. I wish I was that creative with my name....I learned a new Spanish word today! And I agree...my hubby just the other day commented "wow, I love your sewing and mending and quilting, but everyday it surprises me how much bits of thread and fabric are spread throughout the house!

KaHolly said...

It looks great!! I LIKE the plates overlapping the white squares. It's a little different - makes it 'yours'!! Good luck in the challenge!

Celtic Thistle said...

I had to laugh at your list of all the things that went wrong with this quilt in the making. It turned out lovely, I really like how the petals overlap the background! Good luck in the competition.

Kathinca said...

LOL i love the name of your dresden plate quilt. Think i might use it for a quilt or 2 or 3 or maybe more or have you copyrighted it?

I loved the story and the way the quilt turned out. The overlapping plates give it something unique even though it was by mistake. Love it!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you for the challenge.

Mrs.Pickles said...

that is very pretty!!

QuiltyGirl said...

I really like the smaller quite backgrounds, it adds character!

Lisa C said...

Love the story. Sounds like something I would do except mine would be making wayyyy too many cookies and I'd end up feeding the neighborhood. Thanks for the laugh and enjoy your finish!

Caroline Heinrichs said...

What a great story and quilt. Love these colors! I like the way the plates creep over the edge of the square.