Thursday, January 3, 2013

Finishing UFOs...a plan

Encouraging Words of the Day:

For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. ~ Ephesians 2:10, NLT

I'm not making New Year's resolutions but I am going to try to use up more fabric in my stash and make a dent in my list of UFOs. To that end, I have decided to join Carrie's "Nothing but UFOs in 2013" group.

I know that I'll be starting new projects but I'll try to finish some UFOs as I create new ones.

First on my UFO list is the "Penny Haren Pieced Applique" which I've been working on for a couple of years and can't seem to get finished. I have completed the blocks and sashing. Now I need to sew the borders on and get it quilted. I have the backing and borders ready to go so maybe I'll really finally finish this.

Then, I have this little Christmas mini quilt which I wanted to finish in December 2011, then December 2012. Maybe I'll finally finish it for December 2013. I have the sashing, borders and quilting to do but it's a mini quilt, for crying out loud and I've already done the hard part by completing all the blocks. Yes, I posted the photo upside down...

And third, is this bed runner I wanted to complete for my Mother for this Christmas. Well, as you can see, it didn't get done. Maybe I can complete it by Mother's Day. I need the borders and some flowers I want to applique. I've already cut the flowers out with my Baby Go and my sister's flower die so this should go quickly.

Now to get started and really finish something.

That is all.

 

13 comments:

Astrid said...

I'm so with you! The only thing I can think of right now is my UFO's. :) I'm sure if you decide on it, it will be done. All the best! :)I love your first quilt, lovely colors and blocks.

nessa said...

Hello! I've got a mini quilt (Christmas too!) that I need to put together - here's to you getting yours done in time to pack away with your decorations! :)

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Your Penny Haren is just magnificent....I have always loved it and I love how it looks. I know you fretted about putting two browns together and then two blues but It looks good. Uh...did you notice the two stars together in that second row?? hahaha...JK...it is gorgeous and I know you will get it done. You are getting a lot more done than I that's for sure. I'm cracking up at your comment about posting the Christmas mini quilt upsidedown.....hahahahaha.....as you always say...."onward".......

Needled Mom said...

Great goal. I love the blue and brown one. I can't wait to see your finishes.

Doniene said...

Exactly what I've been thinking! I so want to finish up the things I have started. I may do a couple of small new things, but hope to make a huge dent in the UFO list!!

Blessed New Year!!

Carla said...

You can always make scrappy trip around the world blocks to use up some fabrics ; )

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

I totally agree - time to finish up some projects to start the year off right (although there are few things as fun as starting a new project!). ;)
Looking forward to seeing your finishes - and your new starts this year.

Julie Fukuda said...

I'm not sure what makes a project a UFO but I suppose when it goes into a box to wait for a solution. I once had "the year of the UFO" and got those things done and have been careful ever since to not bite off more than I can chew. Good thing because no storage room in the rabbit
hutch!

Celtic Thistle said...

Good luck with your finishes Irene. I am sure you will be ticking these off your list in no time!

Carrie P. said...

Hi Irene,
so glad you are joining me in finishing up some UFOs. I really like your turquoise and brown quilt. At least that is what it looks like to me on my computer. I just love the stripe sashing.
I look forward to watching your progress.

Vickie said...

I only had 1 ufo to start the year with. (I can't remember any others) and it's the one I need to finish the most ! I just can't make my mind up what I want to do. Sigh...............

Mary said...

I also have some UFOs and WIPs that are begging for attention. So, I'll be cheering you on as we both try to whittle away at them.

Ranch Wife said...

Looks like you have some really pretty projects on the list! Thank you for the inspiration. Since I live in the land of UFO's, and my list is long, I think I need to join you!