Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Jane M-3 and Week 1 Stash Report

Encouraging Words of the Day:

So far I haven't worked on any of the 3 UFOs I said I would work on this month. There's plenty of time, right? So what I did instead is finish 2 mug rugs and the top of my mini-quilt. Then I decided that My Jane had been neglected for long enough so I spent most of yesterday doing prep work so I can get back to sewing My Jane blocks. I did the prep work for 23 blocks, trying to catch up to "Aunt Reen" who prepares the most marvelous tutorials for each block. I just can't seem to keep up. Anyway, I took out my rotary cutter and cut and cut till I got 23 of those blocks prepped. Now I'm ready to start sewing a few, not forgetting to work on my UFOs....

The block I completed last evening was completed using the English Paper-Piecing method where you sew your pieces around little cardboard forms. This block was so hard because the pieces are so small but Aunt Reen's method didn't look any easier. Anyway, it took me all evening but I finally got it done and it came out pretty so I'm happy.

M-3

In an effort to start using fabric from my stash instead of buying more, I have joined Judy Laquidara's Stash Report linky at "Patchwork Times." The linky is provided each Sunday so you can keep up with the amount of fabric you've used or bought each week. I guess one has to estimate the amount of fabric used sometimes like wih my prep for 23 of My Jane blocks. I estimated that a fat eighth of fabric was used for each block, then with my two completed mug rugs and mini quilt flimsy, my estimate for this week:

Used this Week: 5 yards

Used year to Date: 5 yards

Added this Week: 0 yards

Added Year to Date: 0 yard

Net Used for 2013: 5 yards

That is all.

 

9 comments:

Dee Dee said...

Welcome to the stash reports. And congrats on your first report - 5 yards is a great start!

Celtic Thistle said...

Of course there is plenty of time Irene!

I'm impressed at all your prep work that is real dedication to the cause.

Julie Fukuda said...

That is too much math! first you would have to dig up all those bits and pieces to figure out how many square meters of stash you had to begin with. That would take at least a year to measure whatever you could locate, and then another year to do the math! Even counting up my cut one-inch squares would take a day before I even got to adding them all. You could be spending that time actually sewing!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Well I wonder if quilter's minds are just geared to procrastinate on the project at hand by doing several other projects instead? jajaja...I added a yard and a half to my stash this morning so you are ahead of me....WTG on using your stash on hand and I love the Jane block. Did you remember to straighten out your button jar before you start on your UFO projects??? LOL....

Kate said...

Great stash report, 5 yards the first week is awesome!

cyndiofthevortex said...

I wanted to thank you for your encouraging words for the day! It's always great to hear the Word of God. I'm joining you in keeping track of what I buy but not what I use as I use so many scraps. I'm also including batting, thread, books, classes and any tools I buy for my craft, just to have an idea of how much I spend. I will keep track of the quilts I make and I can probably estimate the amount of fabric I use that way.

Jeanne said...

Thanks for visiting Spiral. OK, we're starting the year with a clean slate, and we've used some fabric already!
Jeaanne :)

Carrie P. said...

love the verse you shared.
yes, you still have time to work on your UFOs.
really neat block.

Vickie said...

Last year I started keeping my receipts for the fabric I bought. That was an eye opener !