Saturday, October 29, 2011

Lost in Wonderland at Bloggers Fall Festival


Bloggers’ Quilt Festival :: Fall 2011   


"Amy's Creative Side"   is hosting the Blogger's Quilt Festival 2011.  Amy does this each fall and spring to allow bloggers to gather online and share their quilts.  This year, the fall festival runs from  October 28 and through November 4.  I’ve been spending time browsing through the gorgeous quilts and reading the stories that go along with them  and all I can say is, “Wow!”  I’m still going to include my humble little quilt after reading that Amy says that the skill level or style of quilts are not in question as I am definitely not an expert on any quilting techniques.  As a matter of fact, the quilt I am showing for the Festival is made of fabrics I purchased at Wal-Mart, JoAnn’s, thrift shops etc. when I first started quilting.  This was before I even knew what constituted “good fabric,” much less quality quilt store fabric or matching squares or seams etc.  I just bought fabric that inspired me or looked pretty to me.  I did know enough to buy all 100% cotton…  Then I appliquéd my blocks and sewed them together with sashing since that’s the only type of finishing I’d seen.  If the seams on the blocks happened to match up, that was purely accidental.
So saying, and with all the disclaimers, I present my “Alice in Wonderland” quilt.


I love Lewis Carroll and his fabulous stories, “Alice in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking Glass” and have read each several times, even as an adult.  I made my own pattern surfing the free internet clip-art plus clip-art from my “Print Shop” software or even my own ideas.  I read on the internet about quilting with a technique I’d never heard of before at that time called  “stippling.”  I loved it and quilted my “Alice” using this method and learning as I went.

16 comments:

Needled Mom said...

It's wonderful! I have always been a fan of Alice too.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I love Alice as well. Really cute quilt.

sister outlaws said...

Welcome back! It's a magical quilt!

Jessica said...

I think it's beautiful!! I love how you looked for the clip art - I've always wanted to do something like this for Harry Potter. Great job!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Adorable!!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I love it! That's exactly what a quilt should be: made of fabrics that you love and that you are drawn to. I am so impressed that you made your own patterns from clipart! I am just learning to applique and I am quite intimidated by it. We too have fond memories of Alice's wonderful adventures!

Pattilou said...

A unique and very original quilt. I can't believe you did all your own patterns. Great job!

Miri said...

Sweet! Beautiful and clever too! Love it!

notes of sincerity said...

What a fun quilt! :o)

The Thompsons said...

Too cute!

My Sister Made Me Do It said...

Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin, but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing ...! And each of the blocks is curiouser and curiouser!

Karen said...

I love your Alice in Wonderland quilt! Very clever, wonderful!!

Julie Fukuda said...

Hi Irene. I have taken ages working my way down the list of quilts and was so happy to see yours. (I am way behind on checking the slow pokes and on my quilting too). This festival can be just as addictive.

Eileen said...

What an absolutely fin and nicely done quilt. You were so intrepid in making it! Thanks for sharing it and have a great day

Rebecca said...

Oh, what a fun quilt!

Kit Lang said...

Fun quilt! Thanks for sharing. :)