Friday, March 9, 2012

Crazy, happy Friday


Encouraging words of the day -
The LORD is my light and my salvation - so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble? ~ Psalm 27:1, NLT

What happened to my beautiful Friday?  After a week of 70 degree weather, a cold front came in.  I was welcoming spring.  I was excited and happy.  Now I’m digging out my coat again and shivering until Sunday when our temperatures are supposed to be spring-like again.  In the meantime, and speaking of “digging things up,” I dug up my crazy quilt.  Again.  I’ve been working on this crazy quilt on and off since 1982 when I started it.  I sewed the 12 crazy quilt squares and then put them away.  I had three growing children who were occupying all my time.  I love being a mother and preferred to devote my time to them.  Then they grew up and left home.  That’s also a good thing, right?  Don’t we raise them all those years so they can grow up, become independent, and leave us?  Anyway, back to the crazy quilt - I would periodically dig out my squares and embroider something on them, then back in storage.  When my husband and I started taking more road trips, I again dug them out and continued with the embroidery.  Finally finished them and sewed the top together.  Back in storage because I couldn’t decide what to use for a backing.  Then I won a giveaway held by Julie at "My Quilt Diary."   What I won was a panel of a "matoi" showing the standard and happy coat of firefighters during the Edo period.  Ok, I won this in December and am just now getting it done.  It is perfect for the back of my crazy quilt and now it is FINISHED after 20 years.  All’s well that ends well.
Front side of my crazy quilt.  It's actually prettier in "real life."  For some reason, my photos make it look kind of washed out.  Here are a couple of close-ups so you can see some of the embroidery.


And then there's my beautiful back with the panel I won from Julie Thanks, Julie.  The panel was the perfect back for my Crazy Quilt.
Same problem as the front, the colors just don't come out well in my photos.  They are much more beautiful in the actual quilt.

On another topic, I found this at an estate sale today..  I think it’s actually for hanging plates, but it will be perfect for little wall hangings.  I’m happy.

Giveaways:
"The Cottage Home" Is having a terrific giveaway of a fat quarter bundle of Riley Blake "Woodland Trails."  - ends March 10th.
 
That is all.

8 comments:

Needled Mom said...

The Crazy quilt looks wonderful. The back could be another whole quilt.

I love your Bingo card on the rack! Very cute.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your Crazy quilt is amazing! I have trouble taking pictures of yellow fabric - it always washes out.
Your converted plate hanger is wonderful for hanging small quilts. Have a wonderful, and hopefully, warmer weekend, Irene!

Sheila said...

Congratulations on finishing your beautiful crazy quilt , love your embroidered details too. Reminds me to get mine out and finish it ;-)

sister outlaws said...

The crazy quilt was worth the wait! It looks amazing. I love things that were made over a long time - I like projects you cen put on the back burner and pull out later.

krisgray said...

How pretty - lovely embroidery - how fun! Your bingo card is cute, too!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

I saw these blocks of and on through the years that you and I were raising those cousins and was always so impressed with them. But now that they are all together with that gold fabric surrounding
them they are even more beautiful! Love how you utilized the Japanese panel for the back.That settles it. Have the coffee ready. I'm coming by to see it "I'm person" in the morning!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Oops, that's IN person. (darn iPod)

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh Irene, that is just beautiful and worth the time it took. I love all that embroidery. The little hanger is so cute too with that colorful bingo quilt-let. Take all the time you need. You are a Slow Poke after all.