Friday, October 12, 2012

Day 12 of Blogtoberfest and Traveling Picstitch Bloghop

Encouraging Words of the Day:




Day 12 of Blogtoberfest




While we were in Clovis, California, just outside of Fresno, we continued to drive around the area and out into the country. I took a couple of beautiful photos. I think I'll use one of them in the Travelling PicStitch Bloghop which I'm going to join. It sounds like fun, all about using new fabric and paper-piecing, both of which I love. Go to the link above to read all about it and to join-up. Here's what that is all about:

Take a photo to start with. Somewhere great.
Here's mine. I love the rock formations


Here's a close-up of those interesting rocks.

http://www.quokkaquilts.blogspot.com.au/p/the-travelling-picstitch-bloghop.html1)
2) Create a palette from the colours in the photo. (You can do this by eye or you can use something like Degrave's Color Palette Generator or http://www.play-crafts.com/blog/palette-builder/ - there are a number on the web -or Adobe Ideas for Ipad.)

I created a palette for both the first photo and the close-up, that's why there are two columns.

3) Pick a selection of fabrics which match the photo palette (name it if you like).


I kind of combined what I liked best from both and ended up with this.


I'm calling mine "Clovis Rocks," makes it sound like Clovis comes alive when it's actually a quiet little town.

4) Choose an English paper pieced block and sew it in those fabrics.

I'm going to use these fabrics to make one of my hexathons. I need to decide on which yet.

5) Write a post or flickr post it,

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2065925@N24/

including the button linking back to:

http://www.quokkaquilts.blogspot.com.au/p/the-travelling-picstitch-bloghop.html

I'll put the button on my page also.

Here's some more info also:




This post is part of the Travellin' Pic Stitch Blog Hop. From 1st October - 30th November we are hopping all over the world EPP-ing in some fantastic locations. Check out the full list here and be sure to check out the other participants.On 30th November it's over to you to link up for a chance to win these fabulous prizes!Sponsored by Paperpieces.com, FabricwormPink Castle Fabrics , Marmalade Fabrics, the Fat Quarter Shop, WantItNeedItQuilt, and Aurifil.
Full details for competition entry can be found here.
That is all.

3 comments:

Celtic Thistle said...

Isn't that colour palette generator fun! Those rocks are so unusual and I love your name for the fabrics! Really looking forward to seeing your hexagon.

sister outlaws said...

This is so exciting! Clovis does rock! That photo looks like a painting - a very interesting landscape. Love the process of transforming it into patchwork. You stitchers are so clever! Patchwork rocks!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

What a wonderful post for Day 12! I will go check that link out and see what it's all about. What a gorgeous photo. I photographed similar rock formations on the way between your little Ranch and Dallas that time I visited....well they weren't really mountains but they were rocks and trees and they were beautiful.....(Mr. Kimball).....